Friday, August 21, 2009

Umbrella Summer by Lisa Graff

Umbrella Summer Umbrella Summer by Lisa Graff


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Someone told me that their daughter thought this book was "a LITTLE sad." Umm, try uncontrollable crying. Maybe it was just me feeling sentimental, but I thought this book was so sad. But sad like you feel for the characters, not like a tragedy happens during the story. You already know the tragedy before the story starts. It is the healing process that made me so weepy. Definitely a book I will recommend to my students. Don't think I could get through reading it aloud. I know the cover will totally turn off any boy fifth grade readers, but I would still try.

View all my reviews >>

4 comments:

Kelley said...

She did cry, just not unconrollable sobbing! She must be a little hard-hearted - lol! It's probably a good thing I didn't read this one after she did!

Megan Germano said...

I think it was "life experience" that made me cry so hard. That is what always worries me about these books, sometimes I am thinking they are written more for adults than kids. I know everyone has their own baggage in life, but I am positive that having a brother die is one that would be rare in a fifth grade class. Oh well, I still liked the book a lot. I just bought 3 more books today... Including RETURN OF THE HOMEWORK MACHINE! I know Austin would be interested.

Stacey said...

I just love when someone says, "it's a bit sad," and it lands up being a tear jerker. Quite frankly, I like to be more prepared. Your review did that for me so thank you Megan!

Kelley said...

I'll have to get that book for Austin! He loved the first one. I think you're right about some of these books being written more for adults. After reading books like Umbrella Summer, Jemma Hartman, Harper Lee, etc, she didn't discuss any of the "heavy" stuff, only the trivial stuff. Right now she's reading Betsy-Tacy and wants to talk about it all the time. I'm guessing it must be more appropriate for her age!